20 August 2009

To doodle or not to doodle, that is the question!

I have been decidedly anti-doodle as a teacher. Whenever I look out on my class and fingers are flying I assume that at least 25% of the time, students are not taking notes (I am not that interesting). Between facebook, twitter, texting, and old-school doodles, it is hard to compete. My recourse has been to impose a "no doodling" policy, which basically consists of the "Please pay attention" teacher glare to the "OMG if you go another entire class period without even making eye contact with me I'll lose it" inner-rant.

However, oh happy day, recent research has proved me wrong. I will now not only NOT be offended if I catch students doodling, I may require it. I am now decidedly pro-doodle.

http://jezebel.com/5161407/doodling-improves-memory-reduces-daydreaming

5 comments:

Dr. CH said...

Interesting! Thanks for the post, Gabby. (One of our English Dept. faculty members is a huge doodler--any guesses?)

Lynda said...

I confess to being a doodler--having my hands busy helps me concentrate and focus. Sounds weird, I know; if a teacher would not be offended, I would knit during lectures [grin]--I would definitely retain more that way, but, alas, I dare not :).

Amy said...

hmm, I wish this applied to drooling while sleeping too :-)

Joel Overall said...

I know, I know, is it Dr. Colon?

Dr. CH said...

Good guess, Joel, but I'm afraid that's incorrect (or at least not who I was thinking of).

You had the gender correct, however. That might narrow it down a bit.