18 November 2009

At the risk of sounding like I am standing on my porch, waving my cane and telling those darn kids to stay off my lawn, I wanted to post this article. I remember Dr. H mentioning during the pre-semester workshop that TCU students are incredibly polite, and that at the start of each semester, I could expect at least one or two of them to approach me, shake my hand, and introduce themselves. Each semester, without fail, at least one does. One of my students this semester even stays after class and opens the door for me – without fail – each day we leave class. My students are, in general, polite, deferential, nice kids.

But I do see the cell phones in class, and I suspect that some of the girls in class might be headed to the gym later, judging from their attire. I see gum, hats, and once, even dip. I always see students leaving trash and whatnot behind after class. But is it as dire as Dr. Benton believes?

1 comment:

Lynda said...

Interesting article. I haven't had much problems here. But my first year I had 3 male students that looked very bored. I frequently found myself stopping class and flat out asking, "Excuse me, am I boring you?" I have also awakened sleeping students, and when students talk when I talk, I stop talking and stare a them. It works. But I address much of this in my syllabus and on the first day. I explain that certain behaviors are rude. And recently, I added a participation grade, so when my student fell asleep during the library instruction, I marked it in my book and deducted points from his grade.

I want to add, too, that my husband teaches high school and really comes down hard on student misbehavior.